Thursday, October 13, 2011

Smith - Hospital Days

We are so happy to share that our sweet baby brother finally decided to join the family. Smith Abram Weingartner was born on Monday, October 10th, at 3:29 am. His due date was October 1st, which means he came 9 days late (just like Zane). Right before he was born, the doctor felt my belly and guessed that he would weight about 7 1/2 - 7 3/4 lbs, just as my OB doc had predicted a few days before. They were way off! He weight 8 lbs, 14 oz. Wow! He was also 20 1/2 in tall. He is a big, strong, healthy boy.
I was scheduled to be induced on the 11th, but luckily I went into labor late Sunday. My contractions started around 5:00 or 6:00 Sunday and when we got to the hospital a few hours later, I was already 4 1/2 cm dilated. Considering I was only starting at one cm, that was moving pretty fast! Then, about 3 1/2 hours after arriving at the hospital, Smith was born. I was thankful that everything went smoothly and quickly - much easier than the last two.
From the first second we saw his little face we were in love. Right after they cleared his throat out, he cried for literally about 5 seconds and then for the next 20 minutes or so, he was completely calm and quiet. He laid on me and looked right at my face, and around the room, that entire time. This reminded us so much of what Zane did when he was born. Smith also looks EXACTLY like Zane did when he was born. I'll have to post comparison pics soon.
Since then, he's been doing great. He's been a fantastic sleeper and eater so far. He cries absolutely histerically every time we change his diaper, but other than that he doesn't cry very much at all. I'm hoping his relaxed personality sticks.
Emerson and Zane are adjusting pretty well I think. They've been helping me out a ton and when he starts crying, they immediately come to his rescue - with singing or offering him his pacifier or being silly. Emmy's accidentally bumped and banged him a few times already but I think she's genuinely been doing her very best to be gentle. Zane's gotten to hold him by himself a few times and is so sweet and gentle.
Today was tough, mostly because Zane and Emerson have been waking up consistently before 6:00 am. So after being up most of the night with Smith, and then being up that early with cranky, tired other kids is a little crazy. I know we'll all start adjusting soon though and it will be good.

So, here are a TON of pictures. I accidentally posted them backwards...starting from when were just about the leave the hospital down to the very first shots.

Zane and Emerson helped us pick out his "going home" outfit. We called his shirt a "Super Smith" shirt.
Zane and Emmy both wore this hat. I can't wait to find pictures of Zane in it to compare. They look so much alike, it's crazy. We also tried a pacifier right before we left and he loved it. Yes, we are those parents who used a pacifier before even leaving the hospital - don't judge. ;)
We had lot's of visitors, but my two favorite visitors were Zane and Emerson. I will post a video soon of them meeting their brother. Here's Zane trying to get Smith to grab his finger.

Grandma Fran talking to little Smith. She came to stay with the kids for us during the night while we went to the hospital. Thanks, Grandma!


Our 3 monkeys!!



The whole family...


Pappy and Smith
Grandma Shirley




Aunt Nell

After the first night in the hospital.

All of the rest of the pictures are from the delivery room...
First shampooing...
Sad face
Happier

My mom and Nell


Proud dad
Big boy

He was sucking his thumb right off the bat.
My dad
Aunt Jord
Smith was and is a rooting machine. He constantly has his mouth open searching for food.
Right after birth - calm and happy guy



4 comments:

MattandKate said...

Love the pics Jos! He's beautiful! What a big boy!

lil' mama said...

He's so handsome! The Super Smith pic is my fav. Great idea having Zane and Emmy pic out his outfit.

Unknown said...

Awesome pictures, Jos! The last ones of Smith looking at you made me cry! Glad you guys are doing well. We'll be joining the club soon!

Phil and Callie said...

He is so adorable!!! Love all the pictures:) He does look so much like Zane!