Friday, September 10, 2010

The Good Life

I just had such a good day today and felt refreshed and reminded of how much I love being a mom and wife and how much I love my two sweet little monkeys and my amazing husband.

As a stay-at-home mom, I've had days when I've felt burned from doing the same sort of things everyday - dishes, laundry, changing diapers, grocery shopping, mealtime and cleanup - 3 times a day, baths, cleaning up, playing, packing to get ready to go, soothing, breaking up arguments, keeping two kids engaged, did I mention cleaning up? And some days I miss being able to shop without having one kid crying and the other hiding behind clothes. Sometimes I miss taking a quiet shower by myself while not worrying about what's happening outside the door. Some days I miss teaching and other days I miss having an organized, tidy, and clean house and car. Some days I miss being on time to places. Other days I miss going to movies whenever I want.

But every single day, I'm reminded of WHY I chose to stay home with my kids and WHY I am so lucky to be able to spend time with them and WHY I love it more than anything ever. I get to read all my favorite kids books all day everyday. I get to see first steps, first words, first rolls, first tantrums, first everything. I get kisses, hugs, and snuggles for no reason. I get to crack up at my hilarious kids and I get to laugh with them too. I get to go to pools, parks, museums, malls, and my best friends' houses to play. I get to stay in my PJ's as long as I want and can wear my sweat capris everyday. I get to teach my kids how to be loving, fun, caring people. I get to teach them a lot of other things too. I get to go on walks and find rocks and sticks. I get to watch Sesame Street and Veggie Tales and Monsters Inc. I get to watch my two munchkins explore and experience new things and I get to see their minds and imaginations grow. I get to watch them wrestle with their Dad. I get to be the first to see them every morning and the last to see them every night. I get to shower them with love all day long.

So, on days like today, when I look around and see how happy my family is, playing together, eating together, laughing together, I thank God and feel 100% sure that I wouldn't trade what I have and what I get to do for anything in the world.

7 comments:

Jordan said...

I love this post, Jos!! Reading it totally made my day. You are an amazing mom, and watching you raise your kids totally blesses my life.

Kendra said...

Thanks for sharing Josie, made me tear up a little bit

Tara said...

Well said Josie! How ironic-I just started reading In Praise of Stay at Home Moms, by Laura Schlessinger. It's great so far...I was needing some affirmation about my new "career choice." So it was nice to also read your amazing words!

Phil and Callie said...

Great post, Jos! I can't agree with you more.

Janie Howard said...

Josie, this brought back all these memories to me. I loved being mom to Matt and Brooke for all the same reasons. Thanks for sharing it so beautifully!

Unknown said...

Good job, Jos...you made me cry! You have such a voice when you write - very honest. I love it.

Lori Arnold said...

You have so perfectly captured the frustrations and the joys of being a stay-at-home mom. Thank you, once again, for sharing your thoughts and your kids with us!! Our prayers are with you each and every day!!