Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Updates

Random stories, quotes, and updates on Zane...

Zane has been really up and down lately - either super happy and so fun to be around, or super unhappy and not fun to be around. He has whining and fussing down to an art, but can snap out of it when something goes his way again. Taking no for an answer isn't his strong point right now. Most the time though, he's full of joy, laughter, and energy.

He calls the sleep in his eyes "eye wax."

We read him some Bible stories and now he likes to play them, so he pretends like he's Daniel and has to go in the lion's den (he usually makes Emmy the lion). Or we pretend he's David and I'm Goliath and he throws a "stone" to knock me down. We play Noah's Ark a lot where he has to build his ark and put on his animals on it. Jonah is a good one too. It's funny because he makes all of it up.

One day when the sun came out he said, "It stopped raining. The clouds must be off duty."

I asked him how his day at school was and he said he learned about dinosaurs and then said in a sad voice, "But I wanted my sister to see the dinosaurs too."

He says little phrases like, "Can I ask you a question really really quick?" "I couldn't believe my eyes.""Can we please do that again sometime?" "This can't be happening." "What's up with that?" "I have something to tell you."

He's figuring out numbers better. He knows which number comes next or if I give him easy word problems he can figure them out. (ex. 2 frogs plus 1 frog came. How many...)

We had an extra DVD that I asked Zane who he thought would like it and who we should give it to. He said we should give it to our neighbors since a song he knows says, "Love your neighbors."

Now that he's potty trained, it's like all of a sudden he gets potty humor and thinks it's funny. He watched a video clip online that said, "I think I need a pooper scooper" and cracked up FOREVER and still laughs about it all the time.

When we're in a public bathroom, he makes me get out or turn around when he's going potty and always wants to go by himself at home.

He keeps telling us that he's always wanted a puppy. He says, "I'll take good care of him, feed him, take him on walks, let him play, etc.

He pretends that his big boy underwear has pockets and stores toys in them.

My grandparents came to visit and we all went on a walk. When Zane got tired of riding his scooter, he turned to Grandma Shirley as asked her to "Please carry my scooter, Ham." He was assigning roles from Toy Story and he made her Ham the pig. :)

One day he started laughing and said, "That ant was freaking out because he thought I was going to step on him, but I was just saying hi."

We've been encouraging him to eat new foods and the other day he said, "I don't like this pasta. I only like yummy things."

Last week, Zane and Emmy were playing together in the other room. Or so we thought. When we went to check on them, Zane had "changed" Emmy's dirty diaper. She was pantless and diaperless smiling. He had even tried to wipe her and she was wiping herself. Let's just say, we washed a lot of hands and said thanks for trying to help, but do not try it by himself again.


What Emerson's been up to

She asks for things using their sounds a lot. Like, when we're looking for her fish, she makes the fish sound with her mouth. When she sees a dog, she usually points at it and barks and hops instead of saying dog.

She gets desperate right before bed, asking for everything. She asks for milk, food, Zane, downstairs, stuffed animals, whatever she can think of.

She always wants to know where Zane is and asks for him by name. When we pull up to his school to pick him up, she says "Hi, Zane" and waves. She also says his name when she finds his clothes or things.

Her and Zane like to have "concerts" upstairs. They turn off the lights with only a night light spot light and sing and dance really loud. She goes crazy spinning, singing super loud and dancing.

She gives us her feet, arms, hands, stuffed animals, etc to kiss all the time and tells us to kiss them by making the sound.

When she likes something or gets excited, she breathes in and out fast and loud and says, "oooh."

She wants to read all the time and points to every single thing on every page for us to say what it is and she says the things she knows.

She knows how to play "Hide and Seek" with Zane. She covers her eyes and counts an then goes and finds him. She likes to hide too.

Like always, she literally almost never stops running, climbing, and exploring. She keeps us so busy.

1 comment:

Lori Arnold said...

I love your updates. I feel like I have just spent a day with your kids... and it is so much fun!! Thanks for sharing them with us!! :-)